Monday, February 11, 2008

Pack hopes to bring Williams back

In an end of the season interview, Packers coach Mike McCarthy had this to say when asked if wanted to bring Corey Williams back:

We're trying to sign all of our free agents, and I'm hopeful to have Corey back. I thought Corey had a heck of a year. I thought he handled his situation very well. I thought he was professional. And I'm hopeful we can get that worked out for Corey. It'd be great to have him back.


Williams had a great year for the Packers in 2007, finishing ninth on the team in tackles with 51. Thirty-two of them were solo and 19 were assists. Williams also registered seven sacks, third on the team while forcing three fumbles and defending one pass.

Bringing back Williams would be a great move in my opinion. He was the necessary disruptive force up the middle on a successful defense. However, the Packers should not be drawn into a bidding war for him. There is plenty of depth behind him, with Ryan Pickett, Colin Cole, Johnny Jolly, and Justin Harrell. Having Williams back would not hurt the defense, but the Packers should be wary of overpaying for him.

No comments: