Friday, January 25, 2008

Thoughts on Favre

As I was riding home from my haircut last night, discussing the Packers with my mother, I had an epiphany:

I would fully accept Brett Favre's retirement.

Now, I'm not stating what he should or should not do; I don't make the decisions for him. I am just stating how I would feel about his retirement and his legacy.

When I was younger, the thought of Favre retiring was a sad thought. I had a feeling that the day he retired would be a day of mourning for me and that I would shed many tears. After all, Brett Favre is the only quarterback I have known with the Packers. I cried after the infamous 4th & 26 in Philadelphia. I cried after the Monday Night Massacre in Baltimore (hey, I was there). And I cried Sunday after Tynes' field goal split the uprights.

But now I've re-evaluated my thoughts on this matter. I don't want any confusion, I want him to come back. I feel he can take the Packers all the way next year, despite a tough schedule. I feel he is the one to take them back to the Promised Land.

But he really does not need to come back, just to make me happy.

The man has it all. He has a ring. He has the touchdowns record. He was the wins record. He has the yards record. He has just about every record for quarterbacks. Oh yeah, he has the interceptions record too, which I actually think is a pretty cool record to have. It really showcased how he played the game. People say that his legacy will be defined negatively if the interception he threw to Corey Webster is the last pass of his NFL career. I, however, do not necessarily think that would be a negative thing. The interception showed how he played the game. He wasn't afraid to take risks. People say that that was the wrong way to play the game, but it was exciting.

There we have it. I don't want Favre to retire, but I would fully accept it.

What are your thoughts?

No comments: